Low Income Household Water Assistance Program(LIHWAP)
The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) helps low income households pay the cost of water and sewer services. The program can assist households who have past due bills (arrears) for water and/or sewer services.
LIHWAP is a benefit based on the actual amount of water and/or sewer arrears, up to a maximum of $2,500 per water or sewer provider, or $5,000 if water and sewer services are combined, per applicant household. Benefits are paid directly to the household's water and/or sewer vendor(s).
Eligibility and benefits are based on:
- Household size
- Amount owed to water and/or sewer provider(s)
Your household may be eligible for a benefit if:
- You or a member of your household are a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or qualified alien, and
- Your household's gross monthly income is at or below the current income guidelines for your household size as posted in the table below, or
- You receive Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) benefits, or
- You receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, or
- You receive Temporary Assistance (TA), or
- You receive Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone), and
- You pay a vendor directly for your water and/or sewer usage, and
- Your water, sewer, or combined water and sewer account is twenty (20) days past the due date, you have a water lien that is levied on your local property taxes, or your water, sewer, or combined water and sewer service is terminated or otherwise facing disconnection due to unpaid arrears